Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Smokin' Snack Pack Pie

Smokin', because when mixing up the "crust" in my mini prep, it started to smoke. Something about sticky dates didn't agree with it, even though it was the recommended tool. I'm not sure what my solution will be for the next time I make it...because I will be making this again.

Snack Pack, because when I first tasted this pie filling, I paused, thought, then excitedly shared for all to hear, "This tastes like a snack pack!" And then I felt dumb for sounding like Nanny from Billy Madison.

Pie, because that's just what it is. Plain and simple.

When I say simple, I mean it. This is pretty much the easiest most delicious tofu filled pie you will ever make. Did I loose you at tofu?

Crust:


bottom:
1 c. dates
1/3 c. walnuts
1/3 c. cashews
1/3 c. almonds
1 t. vanilla extract

edge:
2 bananas, slice lengthwise

Blend "bottom" ingredients in a food processor until at a sticky consistency, (but before said food processor starts to smoke). Press the blended ingredients into a pie pan.

Lay Bananas on top of the crust and press (don't smash) along the sides.

Filling:


1 package Silken Lite tofu (firm or extra firm)...(silken tofu comes in a tight box and it not refrigerated)
2 T. cocoa powder
1 t. vanilla extract
1/3 c. sweetener (agave, maple syrup, or honey) (I also added a couple sprinkles of regular sugar)

Blend all ingredients until smooth.

Pour over crust.

Let chill in refrigerator for at least 1 hour. But is best if left for several hours or overnight.

Serve up and enjoy with your favorite berries and/or extra bananas





Please bad excuse the camera phone photos, but you get the idea. Also, if you let it sit longer than I did (1 hour) it will set up better and not be so runny.

I got this recipe from The Engine 2 Diet book by Rip Esselstyn.




No comments:

Post a Comment