Sunday, March 24, 2013

Delicious Oatmeal

I have oatmeal almost everyday. The other day I came across a fun oatmeal recipe in Runner's Magazine and had some time this weekend to try it out. It was really tasty and easy. Also, it would feed a whole family (and it is good enough that everyone would want to eat it). Between Jake and I we ate about half of it. Now I have leftovers for the week!

Here is the recipe:

Creamy Cocoa Oatmeal

In a pot boil 1 1/2 cups steel cut oats (I used regular oats and added a bit extra) and 2 cups of water and 2 cups of milk (I used soy milk).

Simmer for 15 minutes (or less).

Stir in 1 mashed banana, 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed, 1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 nutmeg, and 1 cup (or so) of water.

Cook for 10 minutes (or less)

Add 1/3 cup walnuts and 1/3 cup dried cherries (I used cherry flavored craisins)

Serve with maple syrup and blueberries (we skipped the syrup and used frozen blueberries; which helped cool the oatmeal down and make it ready to eat faster. Happy accident.)

It is a pot of oatmeal, not rocket science, so have fun with it and be flexible. I used what we had on hand, hence the substitute of the oats, cherries and blueberries. I cooked the pot in less than half the time the recipe suggested, because that is the way it seemed to work out. Maybe it was because I used old-fasioned oats instead of the steel cut. Just go with it. It was so easy and a really fun way to dress up regular old oatmeal without adding a bunch of sugar or fat. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. i eat oatmeal almost every day too, but i'm guessing it's because we're both in the midwest? gotta keep warm, right? i like mixing in dried fruit and pumpkin pie spice :)

    ReplyDelete